2010/03/03

Tri_K > Journal #2

7 Days In January
(for the programme note of Hong Kong Arts Festival 2010)
1) When a language becomes nothing more than melody, on a good day it sings like a song, on a bad day it is like having a flu and sitting in a noisy restaurant. In the midst of a discussion, someone turned around and spoke to me in Japanese as if I knew the language. I held my breath, listened and at one point I nod. I thought I understood – not exactly a good start in collaboration.
2) From my head to my mouth, my mind to my body….from what I wanted to say to what I said….from what I wanted to be to what I am…..from what I said to what you wanted to hear…can what lost in translation be ever found again? Probably not. But isn’t that one of the most interesting things between you and me? Lost in translation is a must.
3) Audrey Hepburn, Grace Kelly, Elizabeth Taylor. Judy Ong, Agnes Chan, Auyeung Fei Fei. Momoe Yamaguchi, Sakurada Junko, Masako Mori. Takao Kawaguchi. Koichi Imaizumi, Dick Wong. Who is who?
4) Momentary silence in a conversation while resting at the lobby of Morishita Studio. Sound of food chewing versus cigarette sucking. Stomach gas versus heartbeats. In a few hours, on the green sofa across the room, someone would be snoring. Air waved, the cleaning lady in fur coat walked by in a time stretching speed. Sitting next to me, Takao stared at the air and had his eyes focused on an empty spot. Melancholy on his face, something I could resonate with years ago. Koichi was yet to arrive. The kimonos, the white wedding dress, the sailor school uniform, the dark suits and the body bags were all waiting. So was the deadline.
5) Differences we have, uncertain we remain but very soon united we must be. 15 minutes to 7pm, 23 hours and 24 days since I arrived, the work is about to greet the world. Tension is mounting, adrenalin rushing and hand sweating. When in doubt, make belief. Let’s make believe that out there we will shine and inspire.
6) Emotional discharge. Emotional discharge. Emotional discharge. Emotional discharge. Emotional discharge. Emotional discharge. Emotional discharge. Emotional discharge. Emotional discharge. Emotional discharge. Emotional discharge. Emotional discharge.
7) Leader or follower, choose one. Honesty or self-image, choose one. Love or respect, choose one. One against two. Three against the world. The journey of Tri_K goes on.

No comments: